Friday, December 16, 2011

The Leap of Faith

surfer jumping

When I first saw this picture I was awestruck by the power that is evident in the environment and I have to admit that I really didn’t admire the surfer jumping off the cliff into the water. But as I continued to contemplate it, and as a result of something I heard recently when discussing the concept of GRACE with another Christian (we were considering the tension between faith and works in Galatians 3 and Philippians 2) I realized that this is just what is necessary.

I doubt very many Christians would deny that surrender is essential to the Christian life, but at the same time I think that for many this profession is little more than a doctrinal statement. It is not a conviction arising out of experience. We talk of surrender while holding on tight to our cherished beliefs and ideas: to our will. We say ‘Thy will be done’ while continuing to live on the basis of ‘my will.’

But at some point, if we are going to fully experience the abundance of life that is only to be found “in Christ,” we are going to have to let go of our own will and leap into the unknown, propelled by nothing more than the hope that the God who promises will deliver on those promises. I think that’s why it is so hard to make the leap. That’s why we are generally only willing to leap when we have reached the end of our own resources. Like in the picture above, we must either turn back, or we must jump.

I pray that I can make that jump today and everyday – into the awesome power of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment